So, it’s possible that your March hasn’t turned out *quite* as planned? SAME. So far, 2020 has felt a bit like being thrown from the frying pan into the dumpster fire. PJs are the new power suits, our peaceful home sanctuaries have been invaded by endless Zoom calls, and it’s becoming increasingly difficult to practice social distancing from our collective refrigerators. The new normal is 17 different kinds of BS.
However. HOWEVER! All of us here at Kelty are basically hardcore brightsiders. We’re also pretty good at camping. So, before your brain starts cataloging all the things that are wrong with the current happenings, we invite you to join us in celebrating everything that’s awesome about camping in the comfort of your home or yard—along with a shortlist of things that even COVID-19 is incapable of canceling.
LIST #1: WHAT LOVE ABOUT CAMP-AT-HOME DAY
- No Dirt, No Problem. This is actually the *perfect* time to win over your dirt-averse partner to the wonders of camping! Whether you’re pitching your tent in your living room or backyard, it’s probably a whole lot less dusty (and buggy, for that matter) than the actual wilderness.
- All Fur Babies Welcome. We understand that not all cats are adventure cats—and not all dogs are cool with the unfamiliar sounds and smells of the great outdoors. Now’s your chance to safely introduce those sweet babies to the wonders of camping, very close to home.
- All Rug Rats Welcome. Now that we think about it, the same goes for your kiddos! A home campout is a great way to ease your littlest campers into the adventure of the outdoors—with an easy out if they’re freaked out by the change in routine (or the cat butt in their face).
- No Cooler Required. I mean, you’re welcome to set up that camp stove and dig out all of your dirt-proof utensils? But you could also just traipse into the house and prepare the deluxe version of your favorite camping meal using the handy appliances and stuff in your kitchen. Everything tastes better when you don’t have to scrub plates in a bucket of lukewarm water.
- Camp-In Theatre. The DIY backyard theatre—we’ve all thought about it, but very few of us have actually tried it. There’s never been a better time. Now, imagine watching The Goonies for the 87th time from the comfort of your Kelty Tru.Comfort Doublewide sleeping bag…bliss!
- No-Shame Glamping. Admit it: you’ve always wanted to glamp! Well, it’s YOUR house, homie—so nobody can throw shade because you dragged your fluffy rugs, Moroccan poufs and decorative pillow collection into the backyard like a gol-darned Bedouin shiekh.
- S’mores Fix Everything. Well, maybe not EVERYTHING? But pretty close. It’s the ultimate decadent treat, outdoor edition—and we haven’t met anyone who doesn’t love ‘em. Even better: if you feel it’s unwise to build a fire in your backyard, there’s a tasty oven version, too.
LIST #2: 6 OTHER THINGS THAT ARE NOT CANCELLED
- Sunshine. Get that D, yall—Vitamin D!
- Music. What’s on your Pandemic Playlist?
- Friends. Facetime > face time right now, and it’s okay.
- Food. Stress baking is a thing, and we’re not mad at it.
- Netflix. Thank you, TV gods, for the sequined train wreck that is Tiger King.
- Chill. This whole thing has really slowed us all down—what if you just enjoyed it?
In the immortal words of Ferris Bueller, “Life moves pretty fast.
If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.”